24″ High x 36″ Wide Poster
In 1841, Congress created the Lake Survey within the U.S. Army Topographical Engineers, which later became part of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The Survey, based in Detroit, was charged with conducting a hydrographical survey of the Northern and Northwestern Lakes.
This 1867 navigational map extends from Green Bay through the Straights of Mackinac and St Martin’s Bay.
The map includes longitude & latitude lines and rivers on the Wisconsin and Michigan shorelines.
The original map can be viewed at the American Geographical Society Library, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Special thanks to the AGS Library for reproduction permission.
To view this map online, please visit:
Publication #: AGS-4