by Steven E. Yeo, Frederick P. Binkowski and Joseph E. Morris
The intent of this report is to:
- Describe the characteristics of effluents and waste by-products of representative aquaculture rearing systems in the North Central Region.
- Explain the relationship of these wastes to their dietary source and the aquaculture production process.
- Compare the waste production and water usage of aquaculture systems in comparison with other agricultural, municipal, and industrial production processes.
- Review potential methods for wastewater and solids reduction and recovery for beneficial use.
- Recommend proactive measures that aquaculturists can use to promote and ensure the minimization of environmental impact and development of more sustainable aquaculture practices for the North Central Region.
Publication #: WISCU-H-04-001